Do you know secrets of Shri Jagannath Puri temple? Read amazing story behind this temple!
The Hindu temple of Lord Jagannath, the form of Lord Vishnu is situated at Puri, in the state of Odisha (Orissa). Shri Jagannath Ratha (chariot) Yatra is the major festival at Puri commonly known as ‘Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra’. The others are Chandan and Snan Yatras. There are three Deities in this Puri temple, namely Lord Shrikrishna, Brother Balram and sister Subhadra are established, unlike stone or metal idols, usually found in most of the Hindu temples. They are made of wood and are ceremoniously replaced after the lapse of every twelve years. This Jagannath Puri Dham (pilgrimage places) temple is sacred for all the Hindus, more so for the Vaishnavas i.e. devotees of Lord Vishnu.
There is a mysterious story related to Lord Shri Jagannath and about the faith of the devotees. Lord Krishna having accomplished mission in this world, decided to eliminate himself. The archer hit the Lord Krishna with an arrow injuring Him. So, Lord Krishna relinquished this material world. Having received this information, Pandavas searched for his body and cremated him. The whole body was burnt fully but the portion of heart kept on burning incessantly. The mortal remains were submerged into the river. The fuming heart remainder was left.
You might be interested in:
The King Indradyumna found this remainder, who subsequently stored it into the idol of Lord Jagannath and installed it in the temple. No one till this day has ever seen or touched this remainder. Whenever icons are replaced after 12 years, officially power supply is terminated, the worshipers are blind-folded, and their hands are wrapped up with cloth to ensure that they neither could see nor feel the remainder and the Jagannath Puri idols are replaced in absolute darkness. It is believed that whoever, even inadvertently, happen to see, will die instantly as Lord Brahmadev entwined with immense lightning power, is present inside it.
The mystery of the remainder unburnt heart in the Jagannath idol is still unresolved. There are yet other events in Puri, causing sheer astonishment among eminent scientists. Some of the unknown Jagannath Puri temple facts are:
- The flag on the Jagannath temple is furling in the opposite direction of the wind.
- The Sudarshan Chakra on the top of the Shri Jagannath temple is visible from anywhere in Puri.
- Usually the wind flows from sea towards land in day time and land to sea in night, but it is reverse in Puri.
- No shadow of the Jagannath temple is visible in daytime although it is 224 meters high.
- On entering the main entrance gate of this Jagannath temple, no sound of the sea is heard, while at every other place in Puri it is loudly heard.
- The birds are usually found sitting on the top of the temples, but Jagannath temple is an exception.
No one has been able to explain secrets and the mystery of Jagannath Puri Temple, they remain unresolved!